EXECUTIVE COACHING & CONSULTING
5 Keys to More Effective and Effortless Leadership
The information below is a concise and in-depth overview of my approach to executive coaching and leading more effectively and effortlessly.
If you’d like to see if this approach might be for you, please read the information on how I work with clients.
Then, if you’d like to explore working with me, fill out the short form at the bottom and we’ll set up a time to see if my coaching may be right for you or your organization.
Corporate clients seek out my assistance when one or more of the following issues are a challenge for them:
1. A valued, high potential employee feels stuck and frustrated that they are not moving forward in their career. They have a solid track record of results with their company. But they’re not getting the results they want and often not getting the feedback they need to improve.
2. A key executive or high potential employee receives important developmental feedback, and the results of that feedback are surprising or hurtful to the employee. They feel a little shellshocked and are at risk of losing confidence in their abilities, leaving the company, or becoming disengaged.
3. An internal leader is promoted to their first executive role. Or the company brings in a rock star external hire to up-level and challenge the thinking of their leadership team. And they need to help that new executive build alliances, align with the culture, and execute their responsibilities effectively.
4. In limited cases I work directly with an executive looking for assistance in getting promoted and negotiating their worth, overcoming negative perceptions and responding strategically to challenging performance feedback, or overcoming an obstacle that is preventing them from moving forward in their career.
HOW I WORK WITH MY CLIENTS
Who are the clients I work with?
I work exclusively with companies to support their corporate executives and high potential leaders, who primarily serve in roles such as General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Human Resources Officer and other risk and corporate culture leadership disciplines.
I help these leaders achieve accelerated results and overcome obstacles through a wide variety of approaches, tools and disciplines.
The corporate clients who engage me want to build thriving, healthy workplace cultures with executives who lead effectively and with integrity. These companies attract the best and the brightest employees to their ranks to achieve their business goals.
They want to change the world and need executives who have the leadership skills to obtain the mandate and rally the resources they need to get the job done.
While the executives I coach are quite diverse — from around the world, from different ethnic groups, races and cultures, what they have in common is marked intelligence, a growth mindset, and a passion to lead at their best.
Why is this program needed?
Many leaders or high potential professionals may not be getting the feedback they need or they may be experiencing overwhelm due to increased responsibilities.
They may have been told they have a “derailing behavior” that may negatively affect their ability to lead or even stall their career, or they may find it difficult to influence decisions that help them achieve their goals.
Most get some feedback or career support from their leader or HR colleagues but still cannot divine a path to the C-Suite or, once they’ve got that seat at the table, they struggle with how to move forward successfully.
They don’t have any reliable, repeatable strategies for ensuring they are respected and rewarded fully for their efforts and maximizing their leadership potential.
These are some typical issues they struggle with:
• Influencing key outcomes at their companies
• Effectively leading and maximizing the full potential of their teams
• Possessing awareness of how they are perceived by others, how to leverage their strengths and manage derailing behaviors
• Burnout, especially during periods of high-demand
• Obtaining the resources they need to effectively manage risk, such as headcount, sponsorship and budget
• Inspiring their organization to do the right thing
My work focuses on these five outcome-oriented practices:
These five coaching practices are proven to consistently get you the leadership results you seek.
1. Understanding your personal values, preferences and motivations that establish the foundation for strengthening your brand of authentic leadership.
2. Receiving performance feedback from your key stakeholders about behaviors that may be holding you back from being fully recognized and rewarded for your contributions, or that negatively impact your performance.
3. Creating a written action plan with specific inner and outer behavior practices that are based on your leadership style, that are tailored to the demands of your role, and are responsive to the feedback from your boss and other key stakeholders.
4. Obtaining support and accountability in implementing your action plan with regularly scheduled coaching support, input from your manager/boss and/or HR business partner, and assignments that are customized to your personal leadership goals and team needs.
5. Measuring the success of the coaching engagement with stakeholders and co-creating a sustainability plan to ensure continued progress and self-awareness to ensure learning continues after the engagement, and that your new leadership behaviors stick.
What can you expect to gain from working with me?
You will become more self-aware of your leadership impact on others, eliminate potential blind spots, and lead more effectively and effortlessly with greater confidence. You will have a greater impact on your company, team, and other key stakeholders, positively influencing and working toward common goals.
Leading will be less of a struggle and a mystery and become more natural and meaningful. You’ll become more confident in your power and comfortable in your key relationships.
Ultimately, you’ll adopt a whole new leadership mindset.
How do I work with my clients?
Companies sponsor my 1:1 work with executive clients in an intensive, customized coaching program.
Engagements start at six months, and we meet twice monthly in hourly sessions via Zoom, in addition to ad hoc texts and spot coaching in between sessions as needed. Depending on your location, sometimes we have an opportunity to meet in person as mutually agreed.
Learning through discovery and application
Most leaders succeed or fail based on two things: How well they know themselves, and how well they get along with others. Successful leaders become expert at managing these two key variables. It’s about self-awareness and external awareness — knowing how and why you do what you do, and being aware of how your behavior impacts others so you can influence and achieve results with and through others.
It’s all about awareness of self and others, cultivating executive presence, and demonstrating strategic thinking. It’s about developing and sharing your thought leadership in emotionally intelligent and riveting ways that will attract others to adopt your ideas and follow your leadership.
We’ll meet, gather performance feedback data and assessment results, talk, and explore. Then you’ll work at applying what you learn to hone your leadership skills, become confident in making and communicating your decisions, and demonstrating your readiness for greater responsibility in front of your boss, your colleagues and the Board.
What does this program help you avoid?
Executive leadership can be overwhelming. There are hundreds of leadership theories, business books, personality assessments, and literally a million things you could try. And it can be costly to your career and frustrating to experiment, trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
How can you know what will work for you right now, to overcome obstacles and achieve your goals? Where should you spend your time, what you should you avoid, and where you should even start?
So, I help you avoid confusion and overwhelm. I show you what works and help you develop the skills to implement the most effective approaches and strategies. I coach, consult, and support you in being successful at being an effective leader.
How is my approach different?
My work was developed as a result of over 20 years working my way up to the C-Suite in multiple organizations, Global Fortune 50 companies and nonprofits, followed by extensive coaching training and certification and now many years of coaching Fortune 500 and startup executives.
My approach is "insights-to-action." It is practical and informed by my real-world experiences at the top companies around the globe — from being an employment counsel, CHRO, CCO, CAO, and certified executive coach.
Working together, you’ll gain insights and knowledge that you will be able to immediately put to use, along with customized assignments for your specific challenges and goals. Your progress will be measured by your boss and stakeholders who are critical to your success.
What is this program not?
It is not a fluffy program that temporarily makes you or your company feel better. It’s about increasing your awareness, taking action and implementing sustainable change that will serve you and your company over your entire career.
It is not about the power of positive thinking, though I am supportive and nurturing, and unequivocally believe in the power of my clients to be exceptional.
It is not about simply playing to your strengths, “fake it ‘til you make it,” comforting platitudes, or unicorns and rainbows… leadership is hard work.
You will work harder at this program than almost anything you’ve previously done in your career. And your leadership confidence and results will move forward measurably — and with greater ease.
This program is about awareness and action. Knowing yourself, the impact of your behavior on others and how you are perceived, understanding the culture and system you are in, learning principles and practices that work, evaluating options and then taking action. It’s about breakthrough insights that lead to positive behavior change.
It is not just a series of nice conversations where you feel good afterwards but nothing changes.
Your Next Steps…
If you think working with me seems like a good fit, we’ll set up a 45-minute meeting to answer any questions you may have and make sure this program is the right fit for you and your company. (Note: for information about my team coaching, go here.)
Now, please fill out this form:
Thank you for submitting!